British GP Silverstone 2010

British GP Silverstone 2010
Hamilton gets pushed to the second row ready to start the British GP

Monday 28 June 2010

Not what it's about

First post for a while, I've not long started a new job and it's taken its toll on my ability to post I'm afraid. Thankfully though I am now past the stage where I am trying to make an impression, so with my head removed from between the new boss' rectum, I thought I would throw a quick thought out there about something which has really got my goat over the last couple of weeks. Here goes.

Those of you who follow me will know that I use Twitter (albeit quite infrequently at present), now Twitter is a great platform for like minded people to engage in smalltalk on their favourite subject. For me of course, this is F1, and I follow various people involved in the business as well as many fans of the sport. Recently I have noticed a considerable number of these fans have very strong, almost partisan ties to certain teams, in many cases taking it to a level where they want rival teams to do badly, commenting that they hope "driver x" breaks down, or that they "hate driver y". Now I have enough faith in human nature to be aware that these people wish no harm to the subjects of their derision, but it's the principle that riles me.

Formula 1 is not a members club and I'm glad, similarly it isn't my place to decide who can and can't follow, and comment, on the sport; but I do feel I have an obligation to explain to these fans, most of whom I guess are relatively new to following F1, that this is not how it is meant to be done. Yes, by all means support the drivers that you enjoy watching, whether for patriotic reasons, or any other reason you see fit, nominate a villain of the piece if they upset you, but leave this childish, tribalistic, "I'm a Ferrari/McLaren/Red Bull/HRT fan" rubbish at the gate. Formula 1 is a showcase of the finest minds and athletes competing at the absolute pinnacle of their field, and all of them should be admired for what they do.

It is a new phenomenon which is probably a by-product of our cynical, adversarial society, but I find it particularly annoying, bordering on pathetic. It's a gentleman's sport, and if you can't get your head around this concept then maybe you'd be better off going to watch the football.

Whinge over, probably won't make the slightest difference, but I feel better. If you like listening to me moan, I do a lot of it on Twitter: @ifitsgot4wheels or @daimccann.

2 comments:

Lights 2 Flag said...

I'm with you part of the way on this one Dai but I don't agree with your statement that F1 is a "gentleman's sport".

It used to be but those days are long gone. Examples - Schumacher parking the car on track at Monaco, Alonso v Ron Dennis at McLaren, the Singaporegate affair etc etc

I have my favourite teams and drivers but also have those I don't like either. Having said that I appreciate a good drive whoever it is and will give credit where it's due.

Glen

Dai McCann said...

I agree about the drivers not being gentlemen, was thinking more about the fans. Think Spanish halfwits probably test this philosophy, but I live in hope. Thanks for the comment..and the encouragement.